Chopta Tungnath Trek is one of the easy treks in the Himalayan region. The peaks of Panchachuli, Nanda Devi, Neelkanth and Kedarnath are all clear and make for a majestic sight during the trek. The trek covers a large area starting from Haridwar and ending at Chandrashila on the way to many other interesting areas. This is a perfect opportunity for first time visitors who want to know the general basics of trekking in the Himalayan region and comes highly recommended by us for the same. The major attractions of this trek are the Tungnath Temple and Chandrashila Shikhar which provide a breathtaking 360-degree view of the valleys below. Here is a detailed Chopta Tungnath trek guide to prepare yourself for a complete trekking expedition.
HOW TO REACH
Haridwar is the starting point of Chopta Tungnath trek which is easily accessible by road, rail and air. Take a road trip through the motorable roads of National Highway 58,which connect metros and other cities to this beautiful city. Several buses ply between Delhi and Haridwar regularly, making Haridwar a well-connected destination. Railway networks from major cities such as New Delhi (4-5 hrs) and Dehradun (1 hr) are connected by Haridwar Junction railway station, which is located within walking distance of many hotels.36 to Haridwar with daily flights on this circuit from Delhi Fly to Jolly Grant Airport, located kilometers away. Taxis are conveniently available from this airport to reach Haridwar.
Most of the travelers agree that Chopta is the ideal trekking destination throughout the year. However, we recommend you indulge in this wonderful experience between the months of March and May, when the weather is pleasant with lovely picturesque views. With immaculate skies and a vibrant breeze, this trekking expedition will allow you to breathe the best in its spectacular landscape.
ABOUT THE LOCALS
Haridwar is a saint city located at the base of the Shivalik ranges of the Himalayas. It is situated in the course of the divine river Ganga, which has a sacred value. The local residents are very welcoming, given the fact that thousands of devotees gather in this blessed city to offer their prayers and take a dip in the Ganges. The local people strictly observe their religious sanctity and are very courteous towards the visitors. Compassion lies in their kinship and the pride of the city’s purity is reflected in their behavior.
The trek takes you to the Deoriatal Lake situated at an altitude of 2440 meters from the holy city of Haridwar. This magnificent place offers a stunning panorama of the Chaukhamba ranges. Further on your trek, you will pass through Chopta which stands at an altitude of 3000 meters with gorgeous serene surroundings. Continuing on your trek, you will encounter the destination of Tungnath at a majestic height of 3680 m and eventually reach the mysterious Chandrashila Top at 4130 m.
Required entry fees at some checkpoints, permits for the trek and mandatory forest camping fees in the area for the entire length of the trek will be included as part of the package. Please contact the organizers before booking.
The Trek Nevertheless, it is advised that you carry your personal supply of first aid supplies such as antiseptics, insect repellent, prescription, etc. Although all precautionary measures should be taken, it is always recommended to learn health care common sense. Emergency situation. These include emergency resuscitation or CPR and other general medical knowledge about altitude sickness. A very common disorder known as Acute Mountain Sickness is associated with trekking with headache, insomnia, gastrointestinal issues, lung problems, ataxia and similar symptoms .Please consult your doctor before your drive to get prescription drugs for such possible conditions and take them only if necessary, as they are potent and have strong effects. Since Haridwar is the nearest city to this trekking expedition, please carry the following emergency contact details with you at all times.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Good condition trekking boots
- Camp shoes for crossing rivers and for visiting Devariyatal
- A pair of thick woolen socks never hurt when trekking in the Himalayas
- Keep a thick winter jacket for dealing with the cold
- Trekking pants for must for scaling the peaks
- Keep a woolen cap to protect yourself from the biting cold
- A pair of sunglasses to avoid the glaring sun
- Sun screen
- A 2 ltr.water bottle
- Trekking poles
- A first aid box is a must have on this trekkers a swiss knife with you at all times.
TIPS AND TRICKS
– Hydrate your body two days prior to the trek, which means you must triple your water intake to avoid Dehydration.
- Choose a SHOE SIZE HALF A NUMBER BIGGER THAN YOUR NORMAL NUMBER. It would be really uncomfortable if one chooses a shoe size which is one number smaller than their actual shoe size. One can end up with sore fingers and blisters at the end of the trek. To avoid BLISTERS, one can wear double socks–wear a thin nylon one first and then wear a thick Turkish sock which will definitely prevent blisters.
- In case you are carrying your Camera or Mobile phone with you, make sure you carry enough plastic waterproof bags.
- Once you start trekking along with the entire group, try and get your NATURAL RHYTHM of walking. Never attempt to walk too fast or too slow as this can lead to premature fatigue.
- It is advisable to carry a WINDCHEATER but it is not advisable to wear it while trekking. During trekking, our body produces solid heat and to regulate that, the heated muscles of our body sweats profusely. In a humid atmosphere, it is a hot and perspiring situation and we aggravate it by wearing windcheaters. All in all, it leads to a suffocated feeling, so our advice is to keep a windcheater in your sack and wear it only when you take a long halt.